Skip to main content

Mommy you never eat breakfast

It starts like any other day. Wake up to a good morning sung by a blissful 6 year old, who proclaims it's morning because a ray of sun has peeked in through the curtains. Its 6 AM. By now the baby, who unintentionally co-sleeps with us, has awoken from the bustle of feet and dogs stirring and believes it is morning too. So we get up. Coffee brewing, frozen waffles plopped into a toaster oven that could really use a good cleaning, but the crumbs on the floor remind me that I will be lucky to get laundry and vacuuming done today. Ambition silenced I hand coffee to my husband who is off to work then get my 6 year old on the bus. It is in the moments after that chaos that the house settles into a quiet calm. Dogs lay down for their mid-morning nap and I take a moment to drink the coffee that has been waiting for me for two hours. The baby explores the living room, scurrying into unknown corners and cabinets. After some adventuring the baby goes down for her nap leaving me alone with my coffee and my thoughts. For me that is the most dangerous place to be...
A smooth silence fills my ears, harmonizing with the humming of the dishwasher cleaning the dinner dishes from last night. A weight starts to creep into my chest as I think about the day ahead of me. You should have made plans today, you should be doing things with the baby but you don't even have friends to hang out with. The baby needs to be around other kids her age you are not doing a good job as a mother. I am okay, I am okay, I am okay. No wonder you don't have any friends, you can hardly function alone!  I am working on it and I know that I will find the right people when the time is right. I need to eat breakfast. Are you sure you want to do that? How are you going to feel after you eat...This will slowly make you bigger over time then you will loose whatever happiness you feel from being skinny...then what will you do? I breathe through the tightness in my chest and focus on the bird picking through the grass in the front lawn. 
Every morning is a battle in my mind to keep my thoughts where they belong. But trying to catch a wandering mind is difficult. Especially if you don't realize its wandering. Breakfast. I need to eat breakfast is where I focus as my mind says maybe I could skip it because no one is here to know. But I would know, and there is a guilt that lingers in the pit of my stomach. I portion out my food carefully measuring so that I don't eat any more than I have to. Breakfast down, medicine taken and now I start my day. I always envisioned recovery as the cure. That once I was in recovery I would be "better". I had no idea that recovery was still having the thoughts but not allowing them to dictate my behavior. Not giving in to their lies but acknowledging that they are there. Having to come to terms with that was probably more difficult than having to a food that I felt was "unsafe". That this is not like a cold or bruise that goes away when it is healed. Having an eating disorder means that I will always have a disordered relationship with eating and I have to learn to work around that. I hear the thoughts but know that they are not true and hope that with time they will become quieter. I have had to learn that when I feel tired I am actually hungry, that instead of drinking coffee I need to eat something because my stomach stopped growling years ago. I have had to accept that I might feel upset after eating, that the feeling of being full will trigger anxiety, and that it will pass. 
Tub water cyclones down the drain taking with it the suds of another day passing. I have made it through Monday. Kisses and cuddles, books and bedtime and my husband and I find a quiet moment together before a blowing branch or dog bark wakes the baby from her sleep. Cuddled on the couch I hear him ask me how my day was and I know that he is asking if I was alright in my mind, if I ate, if I was happy. My heart hurts knowing that he wants to make sure I am alright, that he asks because he is worried and I feel relieved to know that I am not fighting this battle alone. 
Recovery is achieveable as long as you are fueled enough to fight for it every day. 

Comments

  1. Wonderful piece. I am 54 years old and have battled disordered eating since my very early 20's. I have no one to share the struggle with and most people will never know this about me. Every meal is a trade off, just as you describe it, what I need to eat vs what I want or don't want. Can I skip a meal, I'm not really hungry, can I skip another one, two??? The anxiety of a full stomach is something very few would understand. Thank you for this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you to the one I would never thank...

You know who you are. The man who has an excuse for everything wrong in his life. The man who blames everyone but himself for his problems.  I used to feel guilty that I ever knew you. That I made poor choices and ended up pregnant.  That I didn’t see a 31 year old with no future plans and plenty of failed as a red flag. I made a mistake and I had to pay for that. But not her.  I used to feel sad for my daughter, that one day she might wonder what she did wrong. That she might feel sad that you didn’t love her the way a father should.  I used to question if I was right in pushing you to soon. Because if I didn’t do that, maybe you would have stayed around...But I know in my heart why I did it... You would say you cared. She is yours so I wanted you to prove it. I wanted you to fight for your time with her and go to any length to be in her life. That’s what a parent does.  But I could see how thin the strings were that connected you to her, while you boasted they were strong.

Mothers Day Bonus

This year Mother’s Day morning was also shared with my husbands birthday so instead of the  bustle of breakfast in bed served by sticky fingers, I got up early to make confetti pancakes & give him some much deserved sleep. Not to mention I was able to sleep in until ten the previous day, after managing to coordinate a kid free night for us. Happy girls  finish scraping the last bits  of syrup from their plates before taking off to grab their presents they have been bursting with excitement to pass out... Bags filled with handmade  cards covered in thoughtfully written declarations of love for their daddy. Then it was my turn to be showered by their creations... Hand made crafts from school by my daughter with “mom” on the front and I could tell she had tried her hardest for me...next was my step daughter who proudly handed me a bag decorated all over with hearts and flowers. The word “mom” written on top and for a second I hope that she wasn’t torn in having to decide who  to give